Safety is a parent's first and foremost concern whenever it comes to their children. Whatever their interests and hobbies, it is up to us to ensure that our children are safe and secure in every new adventure they pursue. Scooter riding is becoming one of the favourite hobbies for kids and young teens, and performance scooters are hotter than ever before. To make this a bit safer for your children, it is vital to ensure that they have the appropriate safety gear before heading out to play.
Best Pads for scooters
JBM Multi Sport Knee & Elbow Pads. Wrist Guards
Good for kids of: 6 to 18 years old
JBM International is a well-known and highly trusted manufacturer of a wide line of different types of outdoor sport-related safety gear. From pads to helmets, JBM International makes top-notch, well-made, and reliable safety accessories for children and adults.
Their Multi Sport Protective Gear set is a great, all-purpose set of pads that works well for scooter riding, biking, in-line skating, and more. The pads come in an adjustable one size fits all, making them adjustable for children all the way up to an adult.The pads are constructed from breathable polyester and PP and PE materials. These materials are known for their ability to absorb shock and to protect the covered areas from the brunt of an impact.
The biggest complaint with this pad set is that the knee pads are a little large to adequately work for very small children.
- Good for the money. One of the best values on Amazon.
- More than 100 reviews on amazon with a high customer satisfaction.
- They can be used for multiple sports: cycling, bmx, biking, skateboarding, scootering and other extreme sports.
- Top materials and quality.
- Some people complain that they are too big for their teens.
- Does not fit kids of less than 6 years old.
Kukome Protective Gear Pads
Good for kids of: 2 to 9 years old.
Kukome Shop makes safety gear, ballet shoes and accessories, as well as a variety of other types of related sports and outdoor accessories. Their Protective Gear Pads are a three-pad set of safety pads that are designed for kids and even very small children.
Available in pretty pink, these pads will keep your child comfortable and safe whether they are riding a scooter, skating, or biking.
The pads have a soft EVA internal padding and a durable plastic plate that allows for heavy use and comfortable wear.The biggest complaint is that these tend to only fit small children, generally 6 and under.
- Multiple purpose: roller, skating, bike, cycling, BMX, scooter, skateboard.
- They are cheap, but with good quality.
- They fit little kids (toddlers).
- 3 protections for your kids: Knee pads+Elbow pads+wrist pads.
- Good amazon ratings with 4.3/5 as of today.
- Some customers complained about the size running small.
Triple 8 Saver Series Wristsavers/Kneesavers/Elbowsavers
Good for kids of: 5 to 18+ years old
Triple 8 is a trusted and well known company that produces a wide range of outdoor safety products. From helmets, pad sets, and even padded undergarments, Triple 8 offers something for pretty much every sporting safety need.
Their Saver Series is a high-end line of pads that are packaged together to include a set of knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards. The pads have soft, yet strong EPA foam padding for comfort and shock absorption. The caps are polycarbonate which is incredibly durable and tough, without you having to sacrifice range of motion. The pads are adjustable, easily allowing you to get the perfect fit.
The biggest downside of these pads is that they are not quite up to handling more extreme sports like use during roller derbies. For more extreme sports, you need heavier duty padding.
- Comes in 4 different sizes for your convenience: junior, small, medium, large.
- Comes with protection for the Wrist, Knee, and Elbow.
- Materials are soft and comfortable to wear.
- Good value for the money.
- Multisports: skateboarding, longboarding, rollerboarding, scootering.
- Not ideal for derby.
- Some customers complained about the quality that could be better.
Kukome Kids Scooter
Protective Gear Pads
Good for kids of: 2 to 9 years old.
This is another great offering from Kukome that is in a color palate that is more neutral or suitable for boys. Like the other model we describe, this is a three-piece pad set that is well made and finely designed.The Protective Gear Pads are adjustable so as to provide a comfortable, custom fit for children of all sizes. They have a soft EVA lining for protective comfort and are backed by plastic plates to reduce wear and friction.
Again, like the other set of pads from Kukome we reviewed, the biggest complaint is that these pad sets are most suitable for smaller children.
- One of the cheapest pad kit that works really well for kids. You can get them for under 15 bucks.
- It gets your under 10 year old kid protected in the elbows, knees and wrists.
- Pretty design, and soft and comfortable for kids to wear (You know kids do not like to wear them).
- Customers reported that pads came defective, or with low quality.
- Sizes come small and the available sizes are S and M. Ask the manufacturer if they would fit your kid size before purchasing.
Pro-Tec Street Gear Junior Three Pad Pack
Good for kids of: 5 to 10 years old.
Pro-Tec is a trusted maker of a variety of different youth and adult safety gear, including pads and helmets. Their Street 3-Pack is a great set of pads that is designed for comfortable wear, safety, and durability.The set includes junior-sized wrist guards, knee, and shoulder pads. These are form fitting and adjustable, making them suitable for children of a wide range of ages and sizes. The pads are designed for high-impact sports.
They are made with pads that are efficiently able to adsorb the heavy shock of more extreme sports, giving your child excellent protection from many preventable injuries. They are comfortable and easy to remove, making it a lot easier to get your child to wear them.The biggest complaint is that with certain children, a gap between the elbow pad can cause pinching.
- This is a high end protective pad kit for the scooter.
- Includes 3 set of 2 knee pads, 2 elbow pads, and 2 wrist guards.
- It handles impacts on risky sports as skateboarding, scooting, and inline skating, bike racing.
- Some customers believe that these pads protect better your kids than the JBM listed here in #1st pick. It is a sturdy product made with top quality.
- No reported BS comments online or 1 star comments. It looks like the customers are satisfied with these pads overall and they are glad for what they have paid.
- They are not as cheap as others, but they are worth every cent. Your kids are really protected with them, and they can use it while practicing any action sports that require extra protection.
What to consider when choosing scooter pads?
Parents who have children who are interested in scooter riding or other outdoor pursuits should rejoice since many find it difficult to get their kids out of the house. We all know the health and psychological benefits of physical activity and outdoor play, so it is natural to want to support that as much as you can.
One of the biggest things you will need to take into consideration is the safety of your child. Elbow pads can prevent 82% of elbow injuries, and knee pads can prevent 32% of knee injuries; these statistics show just how vital and effective the proper safety gear is.
You want to look for scooter pads that are well designed and comfortable while in use, otherwise you child is not likely to actually wear the pads; the pads do little if not worn. This means that comfort and good fit are of prime concern, as well as the durability of the materials used in the construction of the pads.
How do elbow pads protect you?
Elbow pads are as important as knee pads when you are practicing action sports as scooting. You need to protect your elbows because they are one of the places of the body with more chances of injuries, especially in sports like scooting, biking and skateboarding where you go at fast speeds and you need to move all your body.
Elbow pads are also used by: hockey players, cyclists, roller skaters, skateboarders, volleyball players, skiers and wrestlers.
How do knee pads protect you?
There is an article HERE that describes how important is a knee pad for scooter riders to avoid breaks.
Basically, the knee pads help you :
- Prevent injuries.
- Saves you money: If your kid breaks a bone, the recovery will cost you a lot of money, and it is not something pleasant (he will need to wear a cast for at least a month). For just 15 bucks which is what a knee pad costs online, your kid can be safe, and you can save money in injury treatments which are expensive and your kid can have side effects afterwards.
- Long Lasting knees.
- Confidence: When you know you are protected, you can practice a sport with more security, hence you can try to do tricks that you know they can be risky without using them. Stunt scooting is an example. When you do tricks without protection, you know is about time before you are badly injured. If you use them, you are more confident that if the tricks turns out bad, at least your knees are safe.
Why is important to wear knee and Elbow Pads for your scooter?
Scooter riding is a fun and action-packed activity for children of a variety of different ages. We all know that children being fit and active, as well as getting outdoor time, is a great thing.
However, we also want to ensure that, no matter what they are doing, they are as safe as possible. Studies have shown that protective gear can prevent a huge percentage of common injuries associated with activities such as scooter riding. A high-quality, comfortable set of scooter pads is a must for any child scooter rider. We briefly reviewed a variety of different types of popular and high-quality scooter pad sets here, and hope we have helped you in your search for the best scooter pads for your child.